11.16.2009

Weekend Mirths

Oh the weekend was a relaxing one.

It snowed...winter now dusts the mountains. This is one of the times I love Utah best.

After class, I strolled through the Provo Library, just pulling interesting books off the (juvenille reading) shelf. I loved it. It felt so indulgent to just grab whatever caught my attention, and I felt like a little girl again in the days where I spent most every afternoon at the library.
With the snow-capped mountains around me and some light-reading in tow, I fixed myself a cup of tea, read, and waited for my Jeffrey to come home.
Saturday afternoon I wanted to do nothing other than bake. So I did. Then I dabbled in homework. Slowly but surely this simplest, homemade applesauce perfumed our home with the rustic smell of roasting apples.

{rome apples, peeled}

{apples, cored, peeled and ready to be grated}

{crockpot of apples ready to simmer}

So Cinch Applesauce

8 apples- I like to use Rome apples and sprinkle in a few Granny Smiths
1/2 C water
scant scant 1/2 C granulated sugar
cinnamon to taste (optional)

Peel and core apples, being sure to clear out all the core and seeds from the apples. Chop, rough chop, or grate your apples depending on your preference for super-chunky, chunky, or really not chunky at all (you can always put the applesauce in the blender if you'd like to smooth it out). Put the apples in the crockpot (we like to use crockpot liners-easy peasy clean-up for my honey), pour water and sugar and cinnamon over top the apples and mix. Cover, cook on "Low" for anywhere from 6-8 hours. If you cook it for over 10 hours, you could end up with apple butter, which is also delicious.
We like to let ours cool before we eat it, then we eat it a la carte, or on cottage cheese, or in oatmeal.


1 comment:

  1. I just want to add my testimonial that this applesauce is probably the best applesauce that I have ever had. I just can't stop eating it and my reserve is almost plumb empty. I will also say that it is quite tasty on peanut butter as a substitute for jam.

    ReplyDelete