11.12.2009

Stocking up

My sister, Krista, teases me about this.

But I think it's wonderful so I am going to share. Here's how to make superbly delicious broth at no additional cost to your budget-a kind of broth that will jazz up your soups and knock your slippers off. And since it's getting colder and soups are sounding more and more like a good dinner idea, consider this a timely suggestion.

I call it "saving vegetable ends". I must admit this wasn't all my idea, it was a suggestion I found somewhere online at some time, but I implement the technique of saving veggie ends as I'm sure no one does. It's rather simple, really. Just whenever you are slicing and dicing vegetables, save the pieces you would normally throw away, put them in a large freezer bag, and stash them in the freezer. When the bag is full, it's time to make stock!

Some stashing tips:
Thoroughly wash all vegetables-you don't want dirt, etc. in your broth
Stash the onion skins! They give the broth a rich color and flavor
Stash unused fresh herbs! I had some leftover parsley that I threw in and it was delish
Stash chicken bones! I like to buy a rotisserie chicken every now and then, separate all the meat from the bones, and save the bones (some with bits of chicken and skin on too) to add to my broth. Bonus-rotisserie chickie makes delicious soups, salads, and wraps

The first time I made broth I let it simmer in my cast iron pot for about 2 hours. But I recently made some broth in the crock pot on the "Low" setting and let it cook for about 8 hours (I put all the veggies and things in, added about 8 cups of water and just a bit of salt, left for shcool, and when I came home it was ready). I think I like this method better, and I also think that next time I'll add 10 cups of water.
After cooking, I pour the veggies and broth through a large strainer, then again through a fine strainer which rids the broth of all the dregs and such. I then put it into a large jar. If I knew how to can things, I would definitely can this. Alas, I cannot (haha unintentional pun alert!!) so I just put a lid on and store it in my fridge. It never sits there long....delicious homemade soup calls my name....

Go ahead and try this! I promise you'll love it- even if your loved ones think you're a freezer-crazy, veggie stashing, frugal frump- it's so worth it.


jars of stock pic from elanaspantry.com


2 comments:

  1. I just don't know how I feel about this one...I think that I may just have to side with Krista on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally the coolest thing ever.
    You guys need to think outside the box.
    (Sheesh my own family...)

    ReplyDelete