1.25.2011

Tuning Out the Tube

The Mister and I have recently started a new thing, partly in rebellion to the high cost of entertainment, partly so our brains don't turn to mush. We've traded watching TV for listening to music. So far it has been a pretty seamless switch.

Don't get us wrong here, we like TV almost as much as the next person, and we're not going hippy granola on everyone-trust me, you wont find me living in a 500 ft square box living out in the middle of nowhere, gathering berries and boiling nuts in a bark dish, no sir, not this chick-so we still watch a few shows.

{eco house...there is no place for my shoes in there}

As previously mentioned we both love love love BONES, and now we both love watching Biggest Loser while eating cake and doing crunches (simultaneously...try it...it's what I like to call "the ultimate indulgence"). We just find TV a bit annoying.

Hence, the decision to tune our ears to music and give our eyes a rest. There's a lot more dancing in the kitchen, humming along, belting out, and general goodwill in our household, despite the occasional banter about what song to listen to next.

Here's the trouble: we haven't bought any new music in like a year...or more! I feel so un-hip and out of the loop now. We both love our old favorites, so we're not desperate or anything, but maybe if you have a few suggestions you could help bring us into this musical decade. Leave me comment about what you're jammin' out to now (feel free to share multiples).

And anyone can comment-no need to have a blog or a google account.

Help a sista out :)

P.S.- speaking of old songs, all this chatter got me wondering about if CMS still plays the Vitamin C, "Graduation Song" at the end of every school year....


Good things die hard I hope.

6 comments:

  1. So, don't freak out and think I'm weird. But I've got senioritis and will do anything other than homework. Thus, I present to you "The Klis Playlist." These are some of my favorite songs and artists of the moment. It goes from mellow rock, cute music to some fun party music, then back again.

    http://www.playlist.com/playlist/21419949323

    But you can never go wrong with The Script or Colbie Caillat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vitamin C and Graduation is the first actual conversation I had with you, unfortunately it being on graduation day when we were all going seperate ways! I do think of you everytime I hear that song though hah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Drape...I doubt that CMS still plays Vitamin C...so old school...The Spill Canvas and Mae are both good bands, as well as my favorite, Dave Matthews...However, I still listen to a lot of my favorite older music too, so I may not be the best person to give advice...If you want some good dancing music, try shagging to some beach music...The Drifters, Chairmen of the Board, and Band of Oz are just a few of the well-known beach music bands...It's a big Carolina thing, but...seeing as you vacation in North Carolina, you might enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prec you and jefferson should just listen to pandora.com for a while...that's the website steve and i were always jamming to at the beach. That way you type in a song...it magically plays other songs that match the genre or artist you typed in and its free! when you hear a song you love, hurry and run over and write it down and buy it on itunes piece-o-cupcake!! thats what i do and it works splendidly! HINT: try typing in mushaboom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachey-
    I was just going to suggest the exact same thing that Krista did. Nick downloaded pandora on his iphone and we listened to it the entire time we were in FL. My other suggestion is searching the "Now that's what I call music" cd's either in itunes or on google. It will give the must have music for the year or genre. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh everyone these are great suggestions! I'd better get jammin!

    Thanks so much for the variety of suggestions-it covers all my likes, party, dancing, vacation music, and the everyday stuff.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete