9.13.2013

Time Best Spent


Some days, when my toddler is whacking me with every toy in sight and fighting my every attempt at doing anything, I think of how easy it would be if my day started- not with a hunger strike and bananas smeared over every surface- but with a shower and a business casual outfit and a "good luck today" glance at a carefully-chosen caregiver as I head out the door to my 9-5pm. There I could sit at my desk, rub my growing tummy occasionally, slip off my shoes, breathe deeply and practically rest while plugging away at work. But honestly, I haven't seriously thought of exchanging that scenario once in the past 20 months.

I'm grateful every day that Jeff and I both agree that my business for now is in our home watching over our greatest treasure (soon to be plural!). Whether it's teaching him how to count, or mashing play dough into the carpet, the most important thing I can do is be present for him and teach him the important things in life. Then someday, with no inklings of doubt, he will know that he and his baby sister are the most important things in our life.

We had the most magical moment the other day, one that made me so glad I was around to share it.  There was a thunder storm and Sawyer woke up scared, so I rocked him and patted his back to soothe him.  I was on hold on an important phone call so snuggling and crossing off my list at first seemed like the perfect situation, but as the thunder kept crashing and the rain kept falling, my babe held me tighter and I realized that whatever I had to do could wait.  I hung up.  Then I nestled Sawyer and myself in his turtle tent and listened to the storm while I held my little one so he'd feel safe.  Soon, we both fell asleep, but not before I soaked in a memory of the perfection of time well wasted. I was so glad I had that time to waste because I can't possibly think of a better way to spend it.

1 comment:

  1. I can attest....there is nothing better than 'wasting' your time like that!!

    ReplyDelete