9.17.2013

Chalk the Block

{some lady pronounced Degas "DAY-gus," and a little piece of my insides died; but when I recovered I immediately blurted out "DAY-gah"....then realized I probably shouldn't correct total strangers and roll my eyes at my husband in front of them. That's definitely behind-the-back material.}

There's an outdoor shopping center near our home that we just love. It has a splash pad, great shops, yummy restaurants, and twinkle lights up all year round (basically, it suits us).  Every year they do a little festival called "Chalk the Block" where artists, high school art classes, families, or even non-artistic people can break out a box of 48 colors of chalk and doodle in the dust.  There were over 120 entries, which was unbelievable considering it rained on and off all weekend. The theme was "Remember When," but there were also lots of non-themed, artistic liberties taken. We loved seeing the different ideas, styles and even skill levels, and Sawyer was beside himself at the sight of all that chalk.



 {Jeff and I used to volunteer at this children's program}

{my native brothers! :) }




{reads: "Remember when simple things were the thing" and accompanies childrens' chalk drawings}

{a pro and her process}

{this little girl is Brenna, she's 6 and she was the artist behind the lovely unicorn drawing. I asked her if she wanted to be an artist when she grew up.  Her reply: "I kind of already am." I love that confidence. photo used with permission}


{No outing is complete without water}

No comments:

Post a Comment