9.09.2013

Riley's Farewell


Our good friend Riley leaves for a mission in Hamilton, New Zealand, this week, and Jeff and I just can't stop talking about how amazing his story is and how glad we are to know him.  He's had me thinking about a lot of things lately, not the least of which has been how glad I am that Jeff's my man, but also on the impact of simple, daily choices.

Jeff and Riley met when Jeff's Account Manager position for the LDS church transferred him up to Salt Lake.  They became fast friends, having many similar interests and similar, easy-going, likeable personalities. Jeff would rattle on and on about his love of New Zealand and travel, and they'd laugh about ridiculousness at work and swap computer-building stories.  I felt like all I ever heard about work was how Riley was doing and what he and Jeff had talked about that day.

Jeff has always loved Riley, but Riley has had trouble liking himself.  He's been restricted by his weight for a good portion of his adult life-it's kept him from attending college, dating, and serving a mission for our church. When he and Jeff met, he was going through a particularly rough time trying to accept who he was, as opposed to who he'd thought he'd grow up to be.  He had almost come to terms with what were the "facts" of his life, but then he felt impressed to make some serious changes.

After months of dedicated work, and what seemed like a lifetime of thinking he'd never be able to serve, Riley told us that he'd finally lost enough weight-100 pounds!- to be able to go on a mission and had been asked to go to New Zealand. He (and his wonderful mother) made a point to make sure that Jeff and I knew that in addition to receiving strength and a knowledge of acceptance and love from God, that Riley had gotten to where he was because of Jeff's friendship and quiet example of fortitude.  Riley said that from the day they met, he had decided he wanted to be like Jeff and one day live as Jeff did.

Jeff was flabbergasted; he really had no idea that he'd been anything more than a friend to Riley, and certainly never intended to change his life. Which got me thinking: aren't some of the greatest things we ever do, things we never intentionally tried to make, mold, or alter, but in fact were changed as a consequence of who we are and the good choices we make?  I believe greatly in the ideology that "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass," and know that ultimately, it's our seemingly insignificant, daily decisions that determine our destiny.

My husband doesn't live a glamorous life-um, I know that for sure- but something about Jeff and the happiness he has made a positive impact on Riley that fueled his change and brought him more happiness in his life. I used to have big dreams of setting out to stop world hunger and bring beauty to all people through knowledge of nutrition and health and cosmetology and language. Now I know I'd rather be the kind of person who never set out to do anything amazing, but who left a wake of joy and uplifting change as she simply went on her way, rejoicing. Thereby making the world a better place one small, daily choice and simple example at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this story! I reflected back and realized the quiet effects Jeff has made on me that I didn't realize until I read this. Puts a whole new meaning on "WWJD", "What Would Jeff Do?". Also hooray for Riley to lose 100lbs! That alone probably boosted his self worth and how he viewed himself and I hope he draws on those experiences to help him during tough times on his mission "I lost 100 lbs. this is little trial is nothing compared to that!" is what I hope he'll say or at least "What Would Jeff Do? WWJD :)

    ReplyDelete