9.04.2013

The Last Fruits of Summer




We often joke that there are a lot of things Utah can't get right, like traffic control or a smooth transition between seasons, but something Utah does really well is grow peaches.  One of the first things I wanted to do when we got back home was head over to a local farm stand and pick up a box of the yellow fleshed little beauties.  I always get seconds, which are the fruits that are smaller or bruised, take them home, then sort them into peaches to eat, freeze, cook and can.  I peeled some and baked some and froze some, but, well, I flopped on the canning this year.  I could blame it on the heat, because who wants to fire up a huge pot of boiling water to process jars and jars of peaches when it's 96 degrees out....but mostly I didn't put up any peaches because I was busy eating them all.  They were so sweet and perfectly ripe, they didn't need a thing besides a dash of cinnamon- and I couldn't help eating the lion's share of the box. 

Good thing I have my girlie to split them with me. She may turn out to be a peach fiend because of these lovely, end-of-summer fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment