8.02.2013

19 weeks

       

That's a pretty legit baby bump right there.

We had a small scare this week when I started feeling irregular contractions one night and the following day as well.  As the day progressed, the contractions came closer together and got more intense. They weren't really painful, just annoyingly noticeable and uncomfortable, and alarmingly, wouldn't go away.  So I called the midwives and they said since it was too early to be admitted to labor and delivery (you have to be at least 24 weeks) I'd just have to come in to the clinic right away.  It was rather unsettling because I knew nothing like this had happened with my first pregnancy and I was worried that it could be a complication resulting from "too much toddler chasing"- then I'd have to go on bed rest, and then my ankles would swell from lack of exercise, and then I'd get preeclampsia, and then, and then, and then......

Good thing I could get in to see a midwife before my mind went really wild.  In the office they performed the usual appointment/check up and asked me lots of questions about the contractions, my activities, and how I was feeling, then ran some tests. Thankfully, everything came back normal and the baby was kicking like crazy and its little heart was beating steadily.  The final diagnosis: an active uterus, or as I affectionately know it, an over-active uterus.  Apparently I could be dealing with frequent, irregular, non-labor progressing contractions throughout this entire pregnancy.  All I have to say about that is this uterus had better be super-over-achiever active when it comes time to get the babe out.  No more excuses for  34-hour labor. Not with all this practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment