11.29.2013

A Day For Thanks

{a little Thanksgiving finger painting}  


When I asked Jeff where he wanted to go for Thanksgiving this year (with options limited to a 1-hour radius, I'm restricting my travel times at this point), he said he wanted to stay home.  And when he saw my surprise coupled with a bit of dismay- what no family gathering? No one-dish making, bringing, and cleaning? No kid chasing and out-of-toddler-reach heirloom stashing- he appealed to my food snob side and procured the argument that if we stayed home, I could cook everything exactly to my liking.  I was won over.  We made our plans for a fuss-free, relaxing day at home with a smallish sort of feast.  Everyone got to pick their favorite dish, for Jeff, it was mashed potatoes and gravy and garlic green beans, Sawyer picked corn and seconded the potatoes, and I decided on sweet potatoes with pecan topping and apple, sage, and cranberry dressing. Our brined, dry rubbed, and roasted turkey breast was the best we'd ever had, and with a little bit of Wednesday night prep, the whole meal came together a lot more easily and quickly than I expected. Jeff even pronounced it the best Thanksgiving he'd ever had.  Since I did all the fixin', he did all the cleaning, and that made it pretty great for me too. Other than cooking, eating, and cleaning, we watched some family-favorite movies, took a walk in the warmish weather, finger-painted, and lounged around lazily.  It was a perfect sort of day.

Then this morning, Sawyer rummaged in the fridge until he found the leftover chocolate pie, pulled it out, plopped the pie tin in front of me and Jeff then proceeded as follows with the lid:







I'd say that's a pretty traditional post-Thanksgiving breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment