11.15.2013

34 weeks


My sweet girlie and I went in for our first Non Stress Test and Amniotic Fluid Index (NST/AFI) tests today.  Our perinatologist recommended then as a precaution, so from here to the big birth day we'll be doing them every week.  I think NSTs are the best medical test ever.  For thirty minutes, I sit and relax while listening to my baby's heartbeat and feeling her jabs and kicks at the fetal monitor.  Then, while the amniotic fluid is measured via ultrasound, I get little glimpses of the miracle that is my growing girl.  Today she was putting on show smacking her lips- I can't imagine she enjoyed tasting that fluid unless she was enjoying the remnants of my breakfast, but still, yucky- or maybe she was singing sweet songs to fill the time. Whatever she was up to, she kept at it for quite some awhile and the ultrasound tech let me watch for as long as she went about her business. I was so glad she did, it was wonderful not to be rushed and to have someone, especially someone who sees babies all the time, marvel at my babe along with me.  

That's just one of the many reasons why I love our birth center. I was already walking through the front doors with teary eyes- every step recalled the last time I walked through those doors- but being around the kind and very sincere staff, not feeling the least bit hurried and instead being flooded with the calm of what has got to be a piece of heaven made we want to weep with joy. And contentment. And a whole lot of excitement.  Just as it was for our first baby, I know it will be a wonderful place to welcome our second to our family and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment