5.22.2012

The Process of Turning a House into a Home


The other night as I was bouncing Sawyer to sleep I said to Jeffrey, “I love our home.” To this he replied, “I thought you hated it here.” And it’s true, (at first I thought a good title for this post would be “From Hellhole to Home,” but that sounded too harsh…) for the past 12 months that we’ve lived here I’ve found plenty of things to grumble about.

But I know why.  We moved so quickly and unpacked so hurriedly and became so busy that we never settled in to this apartment.  With mishmash décor on the walls and furniture placed anywhere it would fit, the feeling just wasn’t right. 

I read once the account of an older man reflecting on his days as a military man in Vietnam.  His battalion moved around so frequently that he never took the time to unpack his things. He was miserable, until he realized why: he didn’t have a home or the stability a home brings.  So from that day on, no matter whether his troop would be stationed somewhere for a week or a few months, he unpacked his belongings and set up a home for himself.

This story resonated with me because I deeply value having a home; a place of peace and safety where we can feel cozy and secure in our love.  We’ve never lived in a truly “nice” apartment, choosing instead to rent well below our incomes so we’d have money to save and to spend. However, I’ve always worked hard to make our apartments comfortable, cute, and clean.  Every apartment, that is, except this one.

So last week I rolled up my sleeves and rearranged, redecorated, and refurbished.  To me, it’s not just putting pictures on walls or frivolously spending on cutesy this and unnecessary that, it’s the process of establishing a home.  It’s putting down our roots and making our mark on life.  It’s creating stability for our family.  It’s walking in to a space where you want to stay.  It's thinking to yourself when you leave that you can’t wait to return.  It's one day, when there’s a moving truck parked outside, loaded and ready to go, being able to say not only, we lived here, but we loved here.

 And that's how a house becomes a home.

Photos of our third love nest will be forthcoming, hopefully soon after we return from our vacation (!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment