9.22.2011

Spaghetti Squash with Chive Cream


My herb pot is lovely this year, but it's really growing out of control. So many herbs, so little time (or thyme, really, because I didn't grow that this year and I miss it) and I'm running out of fresh ideas to use them up before cold weather hits. My abundant chives have been particularly challenging. I love chives and I thought I would use a ton of them, but I soon ran out of recipes and got stuck using them with potatoes, and we don't eat too many potatoes around here. So I scoured and searched and thought, then combined ideas to create this deliciousness:

Spaghetti Squash with Chive Cream
Ingredients:
1/2 of a medium spaghetti squash (about 6-8 in long), cooked and flesh removed, and pipping hot
2 Tablespoons (slightly less than 1 ounce) cream cheese, room temp
1/2 C heavy cream, room temp
3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives with a pinch of parsley in there too
salt
freshly ground pepper

Method:

In a small saucepan, melt the cream cheese over medium low heat. Add the cream to the melted cream cheese, whisk thoroughly to combine, and bring to low, bubbling boil. Turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper, and mix in the fresh chives and parsley.

Fluff up the spaghetti squash with a fork to be sure that the noodley parts are well separated. Pour chive cream over spaghetti squash and toss well to coat. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, if needed (and more cracked pepper is always needed).

If you want to lighten up this recipe, try using Neufchatel cheese and half and half, but that's really only if you want healthy veggies, which is silly :)

Enjoy!

P.S.- Jeffrey loved this so much, after we completed the dish he asked me to whip up some more chive cream and proceeded to devour the other half of the spaghetti squash. It's really that tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up to this recipe of which I will be trying as I eat up my plentiful spaghetti squash harvest!

    ReplyDelete