2.08.2011

A New Kind of Floral Wreath

Felt rosettes are quite possibly the easiest rosettes to make. And they can beautifully adorn alomst anything. From headbands to sweaters to school bags, they add pretty little feminine details without too much fuss. Back in September, I made some to decorate one of my bags with, and so when I saw the idea for this wreath pop up on another blog, I knew I had to try it.

While making these rosettes is so cinch, it does take some time to make up enough to cover a foam wreath. While I love the idea of this wreath for Valentine's day, I think it would also make a lovely wreath for Spring. Just switch out the colors to maybe some butter yellow, a soft greeen, some white and maybe even some pink if you're into that color. I despise pink, especially baby pink, but it id a color both of Spring and Valentine's Day....so despite my best efforts I ended up using a lot more baby pink than I ever wanted to. My consolation is that the end result is still delightful.

Felt Rosette Wreath What You'll Need:
a 10-in foam wreath, available at craft stores
4 sheets of 4 different colors of felt, alternatively you could use 10 sheets of three different colors
hot glue gun
scissors


Begin by cutting out squares of felt that are no bigger than the palm of you hand. Don't be OCD about getting squares of all the same size, it works out with a wide range of sizes.

Round the corners to the squares, then begin cutting a snaking circle from the outside in. This is hard to explain, so look at the pictures. Basically, this is the line your scissors will follow:



And you'll end up with this:


Beginning at the center, start rolling the felt. It will basically wrap around itself, so this is the easiest (and most fun!) part.


Once you've made your fair share of rosettes, you're ready to glue those suckers onto the foam wreath. Alternate the colors so you have a nice mosaic of colors.


Eventually, it will start to look like this:

And that's as far as I got! Haha I plan to finish it tonight and strap it to my door with a happy heart.

If you'd like to see the original plan, and maybe some better pictures and a second explanation (she cuts her a bit differently, if you ask me, I do it the easier way), oh and a finished product, check out one of my favorite blogs, ourbestbites.com.

If a wreath isn't your thing, try out these ideas:
click on the picture for tutorials

{a love note sure to last}

{so cute for kids! heart-shaped button backing}

{heart doilies}

{printed paper hearts}

{crayon hearts}

{heart-shaped pot holders}


1 comment:

  1. Rachel!! I love that cute wreath! I definitely want to make it! Keep up these cute crafts, I love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete