4.07.2015

Sawyer Saves the Sun









Every night I tell Sawyer, "See you when the sun comes up!" It's a gentle elbow nudge to remind him to not even think about whispering in my ear to go downstairs until it's fully morning. He and Elouise sleep in until 8 am, or Sawyer even 9 am, most days anyway so it's not super indulgent of me to make this one small request...

When the sun has risen, Sawyer will stroll into my room, blue blankie in hand, and declare, "Mama. The sun's up! Time to wake up! See?" Then he moves the curtain hanging over my bedroom window so I can verify that indeed, the sun has come up.

But this morning was cloudy and darkish, so Sawyer, who is becoming quite learned about seasons and weather, proclaimed that the sun was behind the clouds.  Then he asked why the clouds had trapped the sun.  It was morning, and my ideas came slow and I think I said something brilliant like "I don't know," but before I could continue in this manner Sawyer suggested what should be done about it:

"I take a sword- a loooooooong sword- and I need to climb a taaaaaaall tree, and stick the sword up high and poke a hole in the clouds, reach up, and grab the sun and pull it down."

Beautiful, my boy.

You are the kind of soul who could save the sun. I love everything you are and everything you are becoming, sunshine or clouds, no matter what.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet boy that Sawyer is. Such a sensitive smart and thoughtful guy. We sure miss him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so sweet :) Don't bring him to Alaska in the summer- he'll be all confused ;) haha

    ReplyDelete