2.26.2013

Homemade Marmalade



I think it was my Gram who got me hooked on marmalade. For one week every January growing up, my Gram would travel from Maryland to watch my brother and sister and me for a week while my parents went their one getaway/date a year.  In addition to just being excited about her presence, and the games and puzzles she would bring, we also got excited about all the delicious food she would make us. Not the least of these was toast. My Gram makes great toast! Sometime during those visits I'm sure I had my first schmear of marmalade.

During my Sophomore year in college, I survived on toast spread with cream cheese and marmalade, and deep down in my subconscious I'm sure I felt those comforting weeks when Gram came to town.  

Now, just the other day I say Ina Garten make marmalade on her show and was surprised at how simple it was.  All it takes is citrus, sugar, water, and time.  The cooking process was slow, but it filled my house with a luscious sweet citrus smell.  It was so tantalizing that once it was done I ate it right out of the pan until I gave myself a tummy ache.  Then I divided it up into jars to continue the tradition and share it with people I love.

 


Homemade Marmalade
recipe from foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:
4 large seedless oranges
2 lemons
8 C water
8 C sugar

At night, thinly slice (I used a mandoline) the citrus and place them and their juices in a large dutch oven or stainless steel pot. Cover them with 8 C water, bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in sugar until it dissolves. Cover and let it rest out all night.

The next morning, pop a candy thermometer into the pot and bring it to a boil.  Drop the heat to a low simmer and let it cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours, until it reaches 220 degrees.

Store in sterilized mason jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment