2.19.2013

Playing with Doughboy

 Sorry for the blurry pictures, I didn't realize I needed to switch my camera settings until it was too late.








Sawyer is my soft and squishy dough boy.  His baby soft pale skin makes him the long-lost brother of a batch of homemade white bread dough. And his SQUISH! He is perfect, the squishy I've always wanted. Confession: his squishy-ness is definitely one of the reasons he runs around in his skivvies all day-it makes him easy to catch and squish. It also makes cleanup for moments like this one depicted really easy. 

My squishy kitchen helper and I made some homemade playdough today because I've resigned myself to this simple truth: no matter how many times he tastes it, shudders, and spits it back out, he'll eat playdough again.  So if he's going to eat it, I want to know exactly what's in it.  Our homemade stuff was all natural, soft and perfect for molding, and not at all tasty.  Here's the recipe so you and your friends (or kids, or pets...) can feed each other playdough while playing and not be worried about it, too.  
(Recipe for dough boy not included.)

Play Dough Recipe
1 C white flour
1/2 C salt
2 Tbsp cream of tartar 
1 C water
food coloring
Mix first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Add water and mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 – 5 minutes. Dough will become difficult to stir and form a “clump”.  Remove from stove and knead for 5 minutes–add food coloring during kneading process. Play dough will keep for a long time stored in a covered plastic container or plastic sandwich bag.
recipe adapted from here

No comments:

Post a Comment