2.28.2013

Baby Dream Mobile


Remember those well-wishes and mommy advice cards I collected at Kailey's baby shower? I turned them into a simple baby mobile, kind of like those paint chip mobiles you may have seen floating around the blogsphere or pintrest.  I wanted to make something special that would rain down love and luck on baby Quinn.  So I chose rain cloud colors and intermixed the advice and wish cards into the "rain."

And then I kicked myself for not thinking of this most amazing of amazing ideas sooner.  Like, 13 months sooner so my baby boy could have had one, because I'm pretty much in love with this awesome idea.

All I needed to make this was:
1 medium-sized embroidery hoop, just the inside hoop
1 small-embroidery hoop, just the inside hoop
silver paint
scalloped 2" inch circle punch
3-4 sheets of each 8 colors of paper
well-wishes and mommy advice
colored twine
glue

 
After punching out innumerable circles and organizing them by color, I found it was easiest to plan out my scheme by laying out each color in groups of 18 (since I had 18 strings to cover). This also showed me any extra (over 18) that i'd have to intermix with the next row of color.  I wanted to create a sort of ombre effect with the colors.



I found it easiest to work on the mobile when I laid it out like this. Remember to glue circles in each spot! One for the front and one for the back. I used a glue stick but some people liked using a glue gun.



I did occasional QC checks by hanging it up on a vase with two wooden skewers taped to the top.  This also helped me to cut my lengths of string evenly and to the size I wanted.




 
After completing the two tiers, I lashed them together with even lengths of twine so the smaller tier would hang a little lower than the big tier.


The finished product: kid approved!


"I'm Sawyer I and I approve of this mobile."

No comments:

Post a Comment