10.26.2012

How to Stiffen Felt



For our Halloween costumes this year, I needed pieces of felt to stand up, not be soft and floppy.  I knew there had to be several ways to do this (hairspray, starch....) but the method I found best was to use a glue and water mix.

Here's how:
1 part glue to 1 part water. I used one cup of Elmer's school glue and one cup warm water

Dip both sides of felt into the glue slurry, then gently "squigee" the excess glue from the felt.

Lay to dry.  I started the drying process on a piece of film, then moved them to a cooling rack placed over a cookie sheet so air could circulate all sides, and if glue dripped, it dripped in the sheet, not on my counter. i also moved the "drying rack" around to sunny spots to speed up the drying process, but it still took about 12 hours to fully dry in my 70 degree apartment.

Stay tuned for next week to see how I used these pieces for our first family Halloween!





No comments:

Post a Comment