9.22.2014

My Birthday in the Apple Orchard











  


Jeffrey packed his bag for a work trip to Canada the night before my birthday and amid stuffing shirts and trousers and toothpaste into his suitcase, he expressed concern that he would miss my big day.  He has learned well what a birthday means to me! But he didn't have any need to fret, I had a magnificent day (and presents to abate my loneliness at night).

Autumn gave me a perfect day of sunshine and warmth and we headed out to the apple orchard and farmers market for what has yearly become a replacement of my birthday cake: a birthday doughnut. We ran into Mr. Patterson himself at Patterson fruit farm and he is such a kind and thoughtful man, he gave us all our celebratory doughnuts that were made and baked fresh at the farm. Still licking frosting from our fingers, we plunked the babes into a wagon and strolled out to the orchard for slightly-less-sweet treats. My mama, dad, and I tried to pick apples and store them in our bags, but Sawyer and Elouise had different plans and snatched them back out again to stuff in their waiting mouths. Somehow, they still found room for dinner....

After dinner out and presents and bedtime Jeff skyped me to be sure that he hadn't left me alone (thank goodness for our kids and my family) or forgotten. That seemed gift enough, but the next day my favorite surprise arrived in the mail from him, "posted from Canada." Which, quite coincidentally, made it the birthday that kept on giving, my favorite kind of birthday of all.


  






1 comment: