3.28.2012

Levain Bakery Copycats


One of my cousins came back from a Christmas vacation this year that included a trip to New York with a visit to Levain Bakery. My interest for these cookies was piqued as I had seen various discussions and recipes floating around the blogosphere, always accompanied by a rave review and an uber-scrumptious-looking cookie. That, coupled with the sad news that my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe is failing me these days, I set out to make these apparently UH-mazing cookies.

While I'm not yet sure if they are a true copycat (said cousin is MIA these days...Dan, come back to game night, I have cookies for you), the thick, gooey goodness is a cookie delight for us of the unknowing.

Levain Bakery Copycat
Chocolate Chip cookies

original Recipe here

Ingredients:
2 sticks cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3/4 C granulated sugar
3/4 C brown sugar, not packed too hard
2 eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract

3 1/4 to 3 1/2 C flour (depending on humidity, kitchen temp, etc., dough needs to feel "like cookie dough in a tube" slightly sticky, but workable)
3/4 tsp Kosher salt
scant 1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1 C milk chocolate chips

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Measure dry ingredients into large mixing bowl and whisk together, stir in chocolate chips, and set aside.

Cream together butter, sugars until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients and chocolate chips until just combined.

Scoop dough out onto a clean surface and gently knead to help all the ingredients come together evenly. Divide into golf-ball sized cookies and freeze individually (optional, you could bake them right away if you must).

Bake on parchment paper for 13-16 minutes, until tops are golden and just barely set (so the insides are gooey still).

Note: I baked the first batch right away, and liked the texture but something was off. They tasted too "floury." Baking them from frozen made them much better. Next time I make these cookies, I plan on adding 2 Tbsp vanilla, 1 tsp kosher salt, and perhaps a bit more sugar. If you make these, let me know what you think!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. ooooo I will have to try these!! Tell Dan to start showing up at game nights- where has he been? The little rascal

    ReplyDelete