7.18.2011

Weekend Mirths, A Key Recipe


It was a pretty simple weekend. Nothing too fancy, just family and work around the house. So I'll give you something to kick your week up a bit-Key Lime Pie.

This is strikingly easy to make, I mean, seriously so cinch. You juice some limes, you beat some eggs, you open a can, bake, the end.

So you should probably make it soon :) I ventured upon making it simply because the Freff smacked his lips one day and said, I feel like some key lime pie. As I looked up recipes, I would ask if he liked this or that about the pie (like meringue topping or sour cream, etc.).
Eventually he confessed: "Well, I've never actually had key lime pie, but I really like the yogurt. Does it taste like the yogurt?"
Me (between hearty chuckles)-"Yeah it's pretty much like that."
Jeff-"Then I think I'll like it."

We topped our pie with loads of sweetened, whipped cream, although next time I'll do a meringue. I also purchased a pre-made graham cracker crust, because to me, it's one of those things that tastes the same if it's homemade or store bought, plus if I was going to make my man juice 22 little round balls, I figured I should do everything I could to make the rest of the process go smoothly and quickly.


It's best to let this pie refrigerate over night, this mellows the flavor and puts it at optimum eating delight. If you can't wait that long (we didn't and that my friends is how I know this) get ready to pucker up, because the pie is tart! Almost overwhelmingly tart, but still yummy. Just try to wait though, ok?





Key Lime Pie
adapted from Emeril Lagasse's recipe found here

For the Pie:

1 9-in graham cracker pie crust
2 (14-ounce) cans condensed milk
1 C key lime juice, about 22 key limes-rolled prior to slicing and juicing to break juice pockets
2 whole eggs

For the topping:
2 C heavy whipping cream
3/4 C powdered sugar (Jeff likes his really sweet, so use less or add gradually for your preferred sweetness)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a bowl with a pouring spout, combine the condensed milk, lime juice, and eggs. Whisk until well blended, and pour the filling into the pie shell. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment