10.11.2017

Honey Child

Let's begin where we last found ourselves....
In a pumpkin patch.






  

When autumn unfurls, I feel as though I could live out my life in a pumpkin patch, as long as there are apples and happy babies to sustain me (okay, the occasional doughnut or apple fritter along with a good sweater would also be appreciated).

But this autumn has unfurled alarming hurt, disasters, calamity and hate; I've struggled to find the patch of peace in it all.  At times, I feel that we should all just stay inside. Sometimes, I'm not sure this is a world I want my children to grow up in. Then, the other day, as I wrapped Louie in a blanket and rocked her back and forth, knowing that all she needed was a good nap she didn't think she needed, these lyrics illuminated the truths of this world I already know:


“’Cause this world was made for dreamin’,
This world was made for you,
This world made for believin’
In all the things you’re gonna do

Ah honey child.”

This is what I know. This world has hate, fear, hurt, anger, catastrophe, accidents, and sorrow. This world has injustice, unrest, and nonacceptance. Yet this is not the world, and we weren't made for these things. We were made for love, excitement, fulfillment, strength, intelligence, joy, beauty, and creativity. We were made to bring peace, build bridges, bind wounds; we were made for every good thing. This world was made for us- for our believing and our doing, and especially, for our continuing. We have a past, present, and most gloriously, a future.

In our present and in our future, we'll be believing and dreaming, and honey child, we'll be doing. 


There it is, my patch of peace. 



 {He's gonna love this picture, truuuuuuust me}


 {I love his determined, squinty-eyed, tongue twisting effort to get the biggest pumpkin}

Song by Melody Gardot, "Morning Sun." So worth a listen.

1 comment:

  1. A divinely created plan with the world/earth at the center...where Love and Light will always rise and arise....for "the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace." -James 3:17, 18-

    ReplyDelete