4.02.2013

Easter Shenanigans, Part II-Outfits



Have you ever seen this beautiful painting by the neoclassical artist Angelica Kauffman? It's entitled, Cornelia, Mother of the Gracchi, Pointing to Her Children as Her Treasures. It contrasts the pure-hearted Cornelia and her sweet children to a vain woman who boasts of her jewelry. The woman asks Cornelia where her jewels are, challenging her reputation and station as the wife of a Roman patrician. Cornelia gestures to her children, responding, "these are my jewels".

This painting epitomizes how I felt about my boys dressed up and headed for church in their matching Easter ties (which I MADE!!!!). The modest role of motherhood I've undertaken certainly doesn't leave much room for real rubies and diamonds, but looking at my boys, I can't help but think I've got the best and brightest treasures in my jewelry box.






No comments:

Post a Comment