6.18.2012

Father's Day Weekend Mirths



He's a really great dad. 

Here's to the man who studies day in and day out, gets up to go to work at 3am, swims for fun, changes diapers without a complaint, plays choo-choo trains one minute and discusses life the next.  He washes dirty dishes, takes out stinky trash, unclogs innumerable kitchen and bathroom drains, programs jibber-jabber and solves ridiculous equations.  Then he still has time to rub my back. Jeff, you're the man. Sawyer and I are lucky to have you.

I discovered Jeff's song this weekend.  See if you can guess what it is....I'll tell you the events that led to my discovery.

Speaking of Father's day festivities I asked, "Hey do you want to go on a fishing trip this weekend?" (Jeff LOVES to fish).
Jeff- "No.  I'd really like to just sit at home. That sounds nice."

Me-  "What can I make you for Father's day?" I am fully prepared to make a 6-course, crown roast dinner if he asks.  He is, after all, the man.
Jeff-  "How about turkey legs? And potatoes." (well shoot, that will be easy)

Me- "Oh OK. What about dessert?" A layered cake, an exotic custard, a decadent chocolate monstrosity...
Jeff- "Cookies and ice cream!"

To sum it up, he wanted to sit around with his family, eat potatoes, and nibble cookies. I think he was asking for simplicity.  It was then that I realized, Steve Tyrell sings Jeff's theme song, "Give me the simple life." Personally, I don't always like simple.  I'm the girl who drank her morning milk from a stemmed glass, asked for "something fancy" for my birthday dinners and told my kindergarten teacher to shove it (well, in so many words) when she told me I couldn't wear heels to class. But I love this man who dodges the spotlight.  He's really something special, and there's nothing simple about what he gives to our relationship, our son, and our life together.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment